10 Event Planning Tips from the Pros Here
1. Create a realistic budget before you begin the planning process.
2. Be flexible.
- a. When booking, date and time flexibility can save money.
- b. Weigh options before making choices.
3. Begin as early as possible- iron out the big details first.
- a. Pick a date that isn’t too close to holidays or other community events.
- b. Find the best venue suited for your event.
4. Don’t be afraid to tour multiple venues.
- a. Tour the actual venue space you would use for your event-determine the capacity, setup, etc. prior to booking
- b. Make a list of things to discuss including:
- Type of food/drink service offered
- View photos of events
- Determine if you can bring your own vendors, catering, alcohol, etc.
- Ask if a day of coordinator is included
- Get a sample invoice
5. Determine the vendors you will need.
- a. Meet with your vendors in person or talk to them on the phone prior to hiring them. This will ensure they’re a good fit for you and your event.
6. Stay organized-make a list of details/deadlines so nothing is missed.
- a. Vendor names and contact information
- b. Guest lists
- c. Food and beverage details, costs, etc.
- d. Payment deadlines, etc.
7. Send Invitations out early to give guests plenty of time to plan.
- a. Things to include – if necessary:
- RSVP information/deadline
- Type of food service, i.e. buffet, hors d’ oeuvres, etc.
- Type of alcohol service, i.e. open bar or cash bar
8. If applicable, use social media for advertising and promotion of the event (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.)
9. Delegate responsibilities.
- a. If it’s a large event consider hiring an event planner to help with day-of details if one isn’t included in the venue rental.
10. Develop a backup plan.
- a. Consider all issues that could go wrong during the event.
- b. Create a plan B – especially if planning something outdoors, make sure you have an inclement weather plan.
Interested in booking an event at the award-winning Holly Hills Country Club? Put our team to work for you! We can’t wait to start planning with you.